Friday, August 15, 2008

What's shaping your summer?

Due to my general hopelessness recently in keeping up with blogging, I only just realised that I got tagged by Lianne, thus:

"List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your spring. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they’re listening to".

Well, they're not shaping my spring, because it's "summer" (yeah right - if it wasn't for the fact that the leaves are still on the trees, you'd think it was coming up to October half term).

But anyway, 7 songs "of the moment", chosen on the basis that either I play them most in my car or the kitchen, or I listen to them most on Youtube:

1. The Gael, Dougie MacLean - I listen to a lot of film soundtracks, and right now "The Last of the Mohicans" is one of my favourites - and this is the original rendition by the composer of "The Gael" - fabulous, atmospheric, and lovely.

2. About You Now, The Saw Doctors - every now and then, a daft pop song gets into my head, and that was the case with Sugababes' "About You Now" - and then, thanks to the wonder of Youtube, I discovered that The Saw Doctors had done a version. Now, some years ago, I was completely mad about the Docs, best live band I've ever seen, got to know them a bit, etc etc, then time goes on, you lose touch ... but I heard this, and "kerching!" I was back in Galway in the big blue tent ... ah, nostalgia.

3. Friday I'm in Love, The Cure - possibly one of the best songs ever, and coincidentally the working title of the novel I'm writing ...

4. House MD soundtrack - probably a bit cheaty to have a soundtrack rather than a song, but this is what's on in the car on the way to work. If I get from house to office without repeating any songs, it's been a quick trip.

5. Once soundtrack - said I liked soundtracks - this is the other one getting played a lot in the car.

6. Cosi Fan Tutte - actually I have an arias and "best bits" CD, not the whole thing, but I've loved it since Sam directed it a few years ago, especially "Soave Sia Il Vento"

7. A free opera CD that's got all sorts of stuff on it, bit random, but it's a "stick it on, pour a glass of wine, get cooking, get relaxed" CD. Cooking, opera, wine - unbeatable.

And now I have to tag 7 people - well, I am so far behind that probably most bloggers have been tagged, so I tag the most frequent readers of my blog - Stacie, Vivien, Nina, Nez, Amanda, Liz, and the secret callers-by who I know read but don't post (hello, Kate!, hello, Annabelle!) - don't worry if you don't have a blog, stick it in a reply.

3 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Should be finishing some accounts but...

Barcelona - by Freddie Mercury and Monserrat ? 'cause of the Olympics and it was just the best, most moving and evocative piece of music the BBC ever used to introduce a sporting event. Animated monkeys - not so much...

Spin the Circle Down - by Philip Riley and Jayne Ellison. Lovely Celtic music that I bought in the Glencoe Vistors' Centre in Scotland and I'm off back there in a couple of weeks. The cafe there has the best soup and bacon rolls in the world.

Back for Good - Take That. Don't really like it, nor even dislike it. It just seems to be on Magic or Bliss EVERY time I channel surf during the ad breaks in Friends.

O Fortuna (Carmen Burana) by Carl Orff, which Ysgol Gwanethy performed on Last Choir Standing this Saturday - amazing piece of music that I never imagined could be sung with such poise and maturity by a bunch of pubescent Welsh kids.

Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol - because I just love it and play it over and over in the car, closely followed by the next track on the CD - Shut Your Eyes". How many times can you play a CD before it wears out?

Viva La Vida by Coldplay. But I hate it. It's on everywhere, like Clocks was. And I just find Chris Martin to be a bit precious and sanctimonious. Of course we often detest our own faults when we see them in another...

Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen - can you guess why, Sal?

Think that's seven but I'm not much good at counting!

Amanda

3:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Ding dong the witch is dead. This is because we're probably doing The Wizard of Oz at drama with the older group and for some reason this is the one that's going round my head: "She's gone where the goblins go, below, below, below. Yo Ho, something something, ring the bells out. etc etc"

2. Robbie Williams - "Mr Bojangles". This probably because it was my cousin's first dance for her wedding and it reminded me about my copy of "Swing while you're winning"

3. Robbie Williams - "Have you met Miss Jones" ditto

4. Robbie Williams - "Did you Evah" ditto

5. Amy Winehouse - "Valerie" - I just like it!

6. Ewan McGregor/Nicole Kidman - "Come What May" - always an excellent song to wash up too and singalong with.

7. The Clientele - "Can't seem to make you mine" - because it's beautiful

8:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. I'm with Amanda - this year's Olympic theme got on my nerves. The chinesey sounding bit was fine, but the electronic arpeggio bit underneath sounded like it belonged on an annoying computer game.

8:40 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home