Thursday, October 09, 2008

Time flies!

I set off for home tomorrow - where did the week go?

The conference was very good; my paper went well and I talked to quite a few people afterwards who were interested in the work, and plenty of people who are interested in keeping in touch - so, a positive outcome!

The day after the conference, I hung out with Aileen, a PhD student from Dundee who knows Rose, my PhD supervisor-as-was. We went up to Sulphur Mountain and took the cable car to the top, from where there are great views over Banff and surrounding mountains. Unfortunately Blogger isn't letting me post photos, so I'll start a new album in flickr and post the link later.

The last couple of days, Aileen, Rose and I have had a hire car so we've seen quite a lot; yesterday we drove up to the Columbia Icefield and walked to the Athabasca Glacier which was fantastic. The road there, the Icefield Parkway, is supposed to be one of the top ten drives in the world, and it is amazing - so many mountains and stupendous views of stunning blue lakes. It snowed yesterday, and again last night, so the mountains have gradually been getting more of a covering, which makes them even more dramatic. Unfortunately my camera battery packed up at the start of the day, so I'll have to wait to get photos from Aileen before I can post any.

Today, Aileen and I went to Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, and Bow Summit. It had snowed overnight, noot just high in the mountains but here in Banff, so everywhere is looking very wintery and dramatic. Again, photos on Flickr in due course.

And now I have to write a research proposal, because deadlines only actually count when they're close enough to punch you on the nose.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds as if you are having a wonderful time. How lucky you are to have the opportunity to see and do so much. Hope your journey home is safe and comfortable.
Love, Mum and Dad.

12:04 pm  
Blogger Stacie said...

I can't wait to see the photos! :) Maybe the next time you visit my continent, I'll get a chance to see you!

4:32 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home